The Creation of My Ancillary Products Over Time

13:11


Over the past few weeks, I have been creating my ancillary products. I have created a poster and magazine front cover for End: 2110. I have produced numerous drafts and have made tweaks along the way. My first drafts used mainly stand in images as I hadn't had the time to take my own photos just yet. The feedback I got from my first drafts was mainly based on spacing and colour changes. As you can see, between draft 1 and 2 of my poster, I changed the colours of the 'stars names' to red and white instead of just white - this helped create more of a colour scheme and brand. I also changed the colour of the credit block and the size of the tagline. Between draft 1 and 2 of my magazine, I changed the size of 'Plus exclusive' as it was originally too large. I also changed the type of font that the plaques contained at the bottom. I also fixed the spacing for the skyline and made sure that the barcode matched the length of the E. I also added the tagline 'The World's Biggest Movie Magazine' as that was a key convention I was missing. Once I had made these changes, the only feedback I got from draft 2 of both my poster and magazine was that I needed to add my own photos. I was happy with the photo used on my magazine so I decided not to change that. Also, in general for my magazine, I researched and downloaded a font that Empire typically use in order to stick to codes and conventions of the magazine. 

The changes between drafts 2 and 3 were a lot more drastic. For my poster, I actually got some images and played on the silhouette themes in the trailer - I thought this would tie in the trailer quite nicely as I referred to key, memorable moments (knife, argument, injured wound). I also created a similar effect to The Town That Dreaded Sundown effect which I was going for. I darkened the image and created a vignette effect for the clock so it looked almost like a shadow/spotlight. Another change I made was the logo - the 2110 kept blurring whenever it was enlarged so to combat this issue we found a font that still had a similar effect. I also put a filter over the face of the mask, like in the trailer, which also creates a similar style - I believe the poster resembles the style of the trailer quite well. For my magazine, I decided to no longer make it an End:2110 special and make it a Thriller special. Empire don't really do big features on just one horror film but they do often focus on genres. A Thriller was a genre Empire haven't done a special on yet so even though that breaks convention, it could easily be a special they do in the future. I used the July 2015 'Ant-Man' cover as inspiration by mentioning many films in the genre around my main image. I also changed the logo once again to suit the poster of the film and to fix it from blurring when enlarged. This all led to be removing the images I was going to have of cast members holding plaques. I am pleased about this as this isn't a common thing that Empire magazine do. Another change that I made was that I took my own background image - even though it can't really be seen due to the text covering it, it is quite a realistic location which is the type of location that is used in our trailer. In Draft 3 of my magazine, I also softened the top of my main image as the hoody area was quite pointy - I also darkened the image a little. I chose not to filter the mask red on the magazine front cover as it didn't fit the style of the cover and I wasn't making any other references to the trailer so it may have looked a little artificial. It could also emphasise that the red is filtered on the poster for effect. 

Draft 3 for both my magazine and poster will be very similar to what my final edits will look like. I will probably slightly tweak each of them after further feedback but I believe my final versions will look quite similar. 

Here are bigger versions of my current 'first cut' drafts:

You Might Also Like

0 comments